Children’s Flight of Hope provides air transportation for children to access specialized medical care. Both commercial and private options are available, and through a partnership with American Airlines, CFOH is able to support international requests. All children must be medically stable as CFOH is not an air ambulance service and no medical support is provided during the flight. Flights are provided in three ways:
- Commercial Airlines – Once approved, CFOH purchases commercial airline tickets for the child and one companion (or two companions if the child is under 2 years old and considered a “lap child”). CFOH does not pay for checked luggage. Each airline maintains their own regulations and payment requirements for passenger luggage, so please contact your specific carrier prior to departure.
- Private Charter/Corporate Flight Donation – For children whose physician deems this level of travel necessary due to the child’s medical condition, CFOH pays for the services of a private air charter company or utilizes aircraft and crew donated by corporate partners. Medical equipment restrictions apply.
- Miles for Kids in Need – In April 2016, Children’s Flight of Hope began administering a portion of American Airlines “Miles for Kids in Need” program. This partnership has extended Children’s Flight of Hope’s ability to provide support to children internationally and domestically. Children must be referred to CFOH directly from American Airlines or through an approved partner organization. To learn more about Miles for Kids in Need, visit its website or contact the program by email.
Commitment to Our Families
Though our budget is not unlimited, we try very hard to live by the motto “Once a CFOH family, always a CFOH family.” We know that one appointment is not always enough to treat an illness or injury, and we’re okay with that. We strive to commit fully to each child and family we fly for as long as the child’s treatment dictates.
More Than An Air Taxi
Children’s Flight of Hope strives to be a part of each child’s treatment plan and path to wellness. Our goal is to provide air transportation assistance, but to do so in a way that brings comfort to families in turmoil.
CFOH provides each child with a backpack care package upon their first flight with us that includes travel essentials, soft blanket, aviation teddy bear, coloring books and details about what to expect when traveling.
On commercial flights, CFOH staff contacts the airlines and airport security to ensure the day of travel is as logistically seamless as possible.
On private flights, a CFOH Family Flight Liaison accompanies the family on the flight to provide non-medical support to the family and pilots as needed.
While CFOH does not pay for ground transportation to and from the airport, or accommodations while receiving treatment, we are happy to connect our families with resources that will help ease other aspects of traveling. Visit our Resources page to learn about other community support services who may be able to help.
- Haley Terry – VP of Programs: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Meredith Berk – Programs Manager: email@example.com
Questions? We’re here to help. Call our flight line: 919.466.8593 and select Option 2, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.